Skip to main content
Important Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: Library building CLOSED until further notice.
See COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Updates and Resources
Research Guides

GIS - Geographic Information Systems Services

The Claremont Colleges Library offers GIS support services online and in person, along with a configured Digital Tool Shed. Contact for access.

Related Mobile Apps

ebee drone used on dry lake bed w/ 7C faculty


More Information

Interested in obtaining FAA 107 sUAV licensing?There are many resources for you to access to prepare for exam.  Below are a few resources we used to prepare and take the exam.  There is no cost for the FAA sUAV 107 license howvere there is a cost to take the exam at a local airport.  Here are some recommended steps below:

  1. Enroll in an online course ($300) to prepare for exam material (there are many others, this is one I enrolled).  There are plenty of free resources online if you prefer to study without a structured online class.  You do not need to have a drone or even touched a drone to take and complete the exam.
  2. Contact your local airport for location to take exam for sUAV FAA 107.  I used the closest location to Claremont Colleges campus: Global Aviator's Academy, La Verne (Brackett Airport) @ 1615 McKinley Ave, Building B (626) 376-6827.  Passing is 70% of 60 multiple choice questions.  There are example questions online. If passed, complete any remaining forms to obtain the 2 year license card (looks like a drivers license without a photo.  Mine arrived after 4 months.  You do however have a temporary license until it arrives.
  3. Your drone must be licensed.  Think of it as a 'license plate.' Register your sUAV here.  Note, I used the recreational licensing option .. check for your option whether recreational or commercial.  Please note that the registration is for YOU, in other words, if anyone carelessly uses your drone or a drone with YOUR registration, they will come looking for YOU.
  4. Install software for flight planning and drone flying onto your phone or tablet.  Below are a couple of recommended free phone apps particularly for the DJI Phantom 3 and 4
    • Pix4D provides you options to specify a grid, free fly and more.  Easy to use with almost no requirements on navigating the controls, essentially autonomous.
    • DJI Go is the software for the DJI Phantom 3 or 4.  Primarily for free flying, follow me, and other options.  
  5. Practice flying the drone (not included in FAA 107 licensing ).  If the drone leaves the ground, you must contact the local airport as noted in policy on the right.

Additional Links

  1. FAA Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAV) page 
  2. Becoming a Pilot and test prep questions.
  3. Request a waiver from restrictions under the FAA rules for flying drone.
  4. An experience in obtaining license for FAA 107

Claremont Colleges Drone Policy (draft)

Use of drones over 0.55 lbs is controlled by both Federal and College regulations – please read the Claremont Colleges Drone Policy document carefully!


The undergraduate Claremont Colleges - Pomona College, Scripps College, Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Mudd College, Pitzer College - together with the Claremont Graduate University, Keck Graduate Institute and the Claremont University Consortium (CUC) are all member institutions of “The Claremont Colleges” (or TCC). TCC seek to integrate the exciting technological advances made possible by the use of unmanned aerial vehicles into classroom instruction, institutional research, recreational and commercial uses while still maintaining a safe environment for their campuses and the surrounding community. 

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles are governed by the Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates their use generally and imposes additional requirements on those operating close to airports (such as TCC’s proximity to Cable Airport).


Here is the (draft) policy for more information on rules regarding drone use on the Claremont Colleges Campus.


  • All members of TCC, including faculty, staff, and students.
  • Third party operators who fly unmanned aerial vehicles in any airspace above TCC’s property, including vendors contracted by any member of TCC but excluding law enforcement agencies that fly drones over TCC Property during the course and scope of law enforcement activities.


Please direct any questions about this policy to CUC Risk Management (909) 621-8050


  • Commercial User: A person who flies an unmanned aerial vehicle for hire, compensation, or as part of or incidental to a business.  This includes faculty or paid teacher’s assistant use when flown as part of a class or for the faculty member’s own research.
  • Recreational/Hobbyist User: A person who flies an unmanned aerial vehicle for fun, relaxation or recreation and not for compensation/hire or in furtherance of a business or incidental to a business.  This includes student use for classroom or educational purposes (but not when assisting a faculty member in his/her research).
  • Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) – Any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate or fly in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.  This includes model aircrafts, which are unmanned aircrafts capable of sustained flight, flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft, which are flown for hobby or recreational purposes.  These are also called unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and are more commonly referred to as “drones.”  For purposes of this Policy, they will be referred to as “drones.”
  • TCC’s Property – All domestic and international buildings, ground and land owned by any member of TCC or controlled by any member of TCC by lease or other contractual agreement.